Minimum Rental Periods
The minimum rental agreement period is typically 1-2 years. It is recommended the agreement be in Spanish and notarized.
Required Documents for Signing a Lease
Typical documents required to sign a lease are a valid passport and proof of employment.
Standard Security Deposit
The security deposit is equivalent to 3 months’ rent.
Local Norm for Returning the Security Deposit
The security deposit is returned after completion of inspection. The landlord will retain from the security deposit penalties and amounts for any necessary repairs.
Should you utilize the services of a real estate agent to help you in your search, agencies usually collect rental commission equal to 1 months’ rent.
Payment of Rental Commission
The agent’s rental commission is typically paid by the landlord.
Accepted Method of Payment
Wire transfer, check, and cash are acceptale methods of payment..
Typical school fees include:
• Admission fee
• Testing fee
• Tuition fee
• In some cases, a special equipment bonus fee might be requested, depending on the school.
Accepted Method of Payment
Wire transfer, cash, check, or credit card are accepted methods of payment.
Additional costs to consider are transportation and uniforms costs. It is required that families have an interview with school authorities, present paperwork from the origin school, and take entrance tests.
Typical documentation required to obtain a driver’s license include:
• Valid passport with issued visa
• Driving school certificate (not always required, recommended to have available)
• Certificate of validation of license at origin country (legalized)
• Driving tests
• International driver’s license obtained at origin (legalized)
• Blood type certificate obtained in Ecuador
• University degree dully translated to Spanish and apostilled
If an international driving license is acquired in the country of origin then driving school certificate is not necessary.
Authorities might retain the driver’s license from origin in order to grant the Ecudorian drivers license. The original drivers license is not returned. The Driver’s License certificate is issued by the Consulate of the country of origin, however, some Consulates do not issue this Certificate and the valid driver’s license has to be be processed at the Transit authority of the country of origin and have it apostilled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs there. If the driver’s license is in another language different from Spanish, it has to be translated and notarized.
In order to open a bank account, you may be asked for:
• Passport and issued visa
• Copy of work contract
• Ecuadorian visa registration number / residence card
• 2 personal references with contact information
• Utility service invoice which confirms an existing address in Ecuador
It may take 3-5 days for your account opening to be complete.
A deposit of minimum $300.00 is required at the account that is being opened.