Minimum Rental Periods
The minimum rental agreement period is typically 1 year.
Required Documents for Signing a Lease
Typical documents required to sign a lease are a valid passport and proof of employment.
Standard Security Deposit
The security deposit is equivalent to 3 months’ rent but varies by city.
Local Norm for Returning the Security Deposit
The security deposit is returned after completion of inventory, inspection of the unit.
Should you utilize the services of a real estate agent to help you in your search, agencies usually collect rental commission equal to 1 months’ rent.
Payment of Rental Commission
Payment of the agent’s rental commission is typically split between the tenant and landlord.
Accepted Method of Payment
Wire or check in INR are the preferred methods of payment.
Foreign nationals visiting India for more than 180 days are required to register with the Foreigners Registration Officer (FRRO). FRRO registration must be obtained within 14 days of arrival in India.
It is advisable to connect with a local expert to identify any additional requirements and support available to assist in meeting the local requirements.
Typical documentation required to obtain a driver’s license include:
• PAN card copy or PAN acknowledgement copy.
• Aadhaar card (if available)
• Electricity bill (will be in owner or builder’s name)
• Passport copy (photo and address pages of the passport)
• OCI copy (if available/applicable)
• FRRO copy with residence address
• Visa copy (if available/applicable)
• Lease agreement copy
• 4-6 passport sized, color photos
• Valid, original foreign driver’s license
• Marriage certificate (for couples)
The applicant will need to be present at the RTO (Regional Transport Office), sign in the register, and be photographed. If you already have a valid international driver’s license, then there is no written / practical test required.
If you do not have a valid international driving license, there might be a written/oral/practical test for a learner’s license and driver’s license.
To obtain a learner’s license it will take approximately 30 working days. A driver’s license will also take 30 working days.
In order to open a bank account, you may be asked for:
• Photographs (number requirement varies depending on the bank)
• Proof of address
• Copy of valid passport
• Copy of visa
• Residential permit
• Completed account opening form
• Copy of PAN card
• Letter from employer (each bank has different requirements, it is best to check with the bank representative at time of account opening for the most updated requirement list)
• Initial deposit
• Copy of a lease agreement (registered agreement if it is more than 11 months, notarized agreement if it is for 11 months)
• Copy of employment contract
It may take 2-6 weeks for your account opening to be complete.
When opening a salary account, the process is expedited. A personal account takes longer. There might be a minimum balance which is also required to be maintained. Some banks may provide a few exceptions, based on having an account with the same bank in the home country and a good credit history.