Long-Term Housing

Minimum Rental Periods

The minimum lease agreement period is 2 or 3 years fixed term or 2 years for a standard lease with 2 months’ termination notice period.

Required Documents for Signing a Lease

Typical documents required to sign a lease are a valid passport and proof of employment.  The use of a guarantor company is required when signing a personal lease with a landlord.  The landlord typically will have a preferred company to leverage.

Standard Security Deposit

The security deposit is equivalent to 4 months’ rent.

Local Norm for Returning the Security Deposit

The security deposit is returned upon completion of inventory, inspection, outstanding refurbishments, and cleaning. All outstanding payments for utilities, water, electricity and repairs must be paid. Return of the deposit may take up to 2 months.

Rental Commission

Should you utilize the services of a real estate agent to help you in your search, agencies usually collect rental commission equal to 1 months’ rent plus 8% tax.

Payment of Rental Commission

The agent’s rental commission is typically paid by the tenant.

Accepted Method of Payment


School Registration

School Fees

Schools may require a deposit, depending on the school of choice. Most international schools charge a non-refundable application fee of approximately 20,000 yen and a registration fee of approximately 300,000 yen. Amounts will vary among schools.

Accepted Method of Payment

Wire transfer is the preferred method of payment.

Additional Notes

A non-refundable test/screening fee will be required at most of schools. In addition most international schools charge a compulsory building maintenance fee of approximately JPY 100,000 in addition to the annual tuition fee.


Local Requirements

Residency Requirements

When you moving to Japan you may want or need to establish residency.  Requirements may include:

• Register address with the local ward
• Obtain Social Security and Tax Number (My Number)

It is advisable to connect with a local expert to identify any additional requirements and support available to assist in meeting the local requirements.


Obtaining a Driver’s License


The process to obtain a driver’s license varies depending on origin country driver’s license and applicant’s traveling background. In the most simple case, the following documentation may be required, however additional documents can be requested:

• Valid passport
• Original, valid driver’s license from home country
• JAF translation/EMB translation of the license

Additional Notes

For driver’s license with no tests, it takes about half a day. For driver’s license which requires a written exam and practical exam, it takes 3-4 hours on the first day for document check and written exam, then another date for half a day for the practical exam.


Opening a Bank Account

Required Documents

In order to open a bank account, you may be asked for:

• Valid passport and resident card (with address updated)
• Resident Certificate with “my number” is required if wishing to activate overseas transactions immediately.
• If you pay tax overseas, overseas tax number will be required on bank account application form.
• Employment certificate issued in Japan after hire date in Japan (name on certificate must match passport exactly).

Time Required

Typically opening a bank account can be completed in 1 day.

Additional Notes

In order to receive an additional ATM card for a spouse, the spouse’s documents are necessary. The bank may request: valid passport, resident card (with address updated), and resident certificate copy (if surname is not the same as on the account).