Minimum Rental Periods
The minimum rental agreement period is typically 2 years.
Required Documents for Signing a Lease
Typical requirements to sign a lease are:
• Employment Pass / S Pass / Permanent
• Residency or Singapore Citizenship
• Letter of Intent
• Stamp duty fees based on 0.4% of (monthly rental x number of months)
Standard Security Deposit
The security deposit is equivalent to 2 months’ rent.
Local Norm for Returning the Security Deposit
The security deposit is returned after completion of inventory, inspection of outstanding refurbishments, and cleaning.
Outstanding payments for utilities, water, electricity, and repairs will be deducted if necessary
Should you utilize the services of a real estate agent to help you in your search, agencies usually collect rental commission. This commission is typically paid by the landlord if rent is above SGD $3500 and the lease is 2 years or more. If the lease is less than 2 years the tenant is liable for a finders fee equal to half of the commission amount.
If rent of SGD $3500 and below the tenant and landlord pay their own agent the commission.
Payment of Rental Commission
The agent’s rental commission may be paid by the landlord or tenant depending on the rental amount and duration of the lease.
Accepted Method of Payment
Wire, check, or cash in SGD are acceptable methods of payment.
When you move to Sweden you may want or need to establish residency. Requirements include obtaining the National Registration Identity Card (NRIC).
It is advisable to connect with a local expert to identify any additional requirements and support available to assist in meeting the local requirements.
Typical documentation required to obtain a driver’s license include:
• Original and photo copy of valid passport
• 1 of the following: entry permit, employment pass, dependent pass, social visit pass, or work permit
• Original and photocopy of valid qualified foreign driver’s license (must be translated into English)
• 1 matte finish, recent passport sized, color photograph with white background
• For Malaysian license holders, an extract from JPJ Malaysia showing information of your driving record and license information (obtained not more than 6 months prior to date of conversion)
• For Singaporeans and PR, you must show documentation that you have studied or worked in a foreign country for 1 year or more and proof that you have stayed in that foreign country for a total period of at least 6 months within a 12 month window (i.e. education transcripts or tax return documents)
In order to convert a foreign license to a Singapore driver’s license, drivers are required to pass the Basic Theory Test (BTT). Self study or courses (payable) are available in preparation for the test. Tests are only offered in 4 languages: English, Malay, Tamil and Mandarin.
Overseas theory test results are not admissible for consideration. On passing the BTT proceed to apply for conversion at the Traffic Police Driving Test Centre counters, in person with the relevant documents.
In order to open a bank account, you may be asked for:
• Valid Passport
• Employment, S Pass or IPA Letter
• Proof of employment letter (if applicable)
• Local address.
• Local contact number
Typically, opening a bank account can be completed same day. Some branches may take longer depending on verification of documents.
Deposits are subject to various bank requirements. Minimum balance fee varies among banks.