Long-Term Housing

Minimum Rental Periods

The minimum rental agreement period is typically 1 year.

Required Documents for Signing a Lease

Typical requirements to sign a lease are:

• Valid ID (passport)
• Reference letter from local employer
• Proof of funds

Standard Security Deposit

The security deposit is equivalent to 1-2 months’ rent.

Local Norm for Returning the Security Deposit

Typically, the landlord has 30 days to return the deposits. However, it is more common to have the deposit returned after all the outstanding utility bills have been settled. This may take up to 2 months. Any damages detected during the check-out inspection will be deducted.

Rental Commission

Should you utilize the services of a real estate agent to help you in your search, agencies usually collect rental commission equal to 1 months’ rent plus 21% Value-Added Tax (VAT) in most cities. Some cities like Barcelona, will ask for 10% of the annual rent + 21% VAT.

Payment of Rental Commission

The agent’s rental commission is typically paid by the tenant.

Accepted Method of Payment

Wire transfer is the preferred method of payment.


School Registration

School Fees

Private schools typically require a registration fee to secure the child’s place at the school. .

Accepted Method of Payment

Wire transfer is the preferred method of payment.


Local Requirements

Residency Requirements

When moving to Spain you may want or need to establish residency. Requirements may include:

• NIE (Certificado de Registro)
• Social Security Number (SSN)
• Town hall registration/pardon
• Health care registration

It is advisable to connect with a local expert to identify any additional requirements and advise on support available to assist in meeting the local requirements.


Obtaining a Driver’s Licence


Typical documentation required to obtain a driver’s licence include:

• Valid national identity card or passport (original);
• Residence permit, identity card, or foreign passport, along with the Certificate of Registration in the Central Register of Foreigners for EU foreigners or residence permit for non-EU: original effect. Valid residence card.
• Medical fitness report from a recognized medical center (such as the Authorised Drivers’ Check Centre (Centro de Reconocimiento de Conductores Autorizado);
• Valid driving license to be exchanged (original and photocopy);
• Two recent photographs (32x25mm);
• Declaration in writing that you have not been banned or suspended from driving;
• Declaration in writing that you do not hold another driver’s license of the same class issued by another EU country.

Additional Notes

EU licences are valid to drive in Spain except when the validity period exceeds 15 years. In this case, exchange is needed after 2 years of residency. Non-EU licences are valid only for 6 months after becoming a resident. Some licences can be exchanged based on bilateral agreements. If there is no valid agreement, it is required to attend a driving school and take the corresponding exams to apply for a Spanish licence.

For the holders of the non-EU licences, it is important to start the exchange or new licence application process on arrival as it takes time.


Opening a Bank Account

Required Documents

In order to open a bank account, you may be asked for:

• Valid passport
• Proof of employment (source of funds)
• TIN number (if applicable)

The requirements vary depending on the bank. Not all banks accept to open an account without the Spanish ID (NIE)

Time Required

Typically, opening a bank account can be completed same day, as long as all required documentation is provided. Credit card application are processed only with a Social Security number.

Additional Notes

Some nationalities require more documentation than others. It is recommended to contact the bank to get the most updated requirement list.